In honor of the three day weekend I have this weekend, I thought I would do a taste test between three different peanut butter cups. I have had the Unjunked peanut butter cups for a couple weeks, and picked up the Sunspire ones tonight while at the store searching for some chips to enjoy for an all night Netflix marathon of GI Joe, Star Trek, and Rainbow Brite.
I figured I would start with the ole’ standby – Reese’s. I absolutely love chocolate and peanut butter together. Its like Hall and Oates, Simon and Garfunkel, She & Him – they just go together. My Reese’s peanut butter cup was nothing short of amazing. The chocolate was nice and smooth, and the peanut butter had just the right amount of sweetness.
Next up were the Unjunked Unreal77 peanut butter cups – Now if you have been following my blog at all, I reviewed the Unjunked chocolate candy pieces, and they were not good. I was hoping that the addition of chocolate to the mix would help spice things up, I was wrong. The chocolate outside was not bad, but the peanut butter? Good grief. It was a weird chalky powerdy peanut butter mixture inside that had the faint taste of peanuts. What have they done to the beloved peanut butter cup? I saw on a couple of blogs that people had planned to give these out to kids trick-or-treating, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?! I would have rather had pennies or a walnut dropped into my pillowcase instead of this atrocity.
Finally with hopes that I could finish off on a good note, I sampled the Sunspire peanut butter cups. Like the Unjunked, they use nothing artificial in their candy, and I was concerned that I would be faced with the same gross flavor again. These cups are slightly smaller than the other two, about the size of a half dollar. But they make up for the lack of size by giving you three in the package instead of two.
I popped the whole thing in my mouth, figuring that I would go big or go home, and was pleasantly surprised. The chocolate was smooth, as was the peanut butter, unlike the peanut butter used in a Reese’s, which can be gritty at times. If you had told me that these were all natural and contained nothing artificial, I wouldn’t believe you. I think the biggest problem I have with companies trying to create healthy candy alternatives is that they don’t even attempt to make it taste good. I’m sorry, I’ll sacrifice a few calories, a few grams of sugar in my diet, and a few grams of fat to eat something I actually enjoy as a treat instead of trying to convince myself that the “candy” I’m eating doesn’t taste like pencil shavings.
- Reese’s: 3/5 – The chocolate on the Reese’s is always smooth, but its a hit and miss sometimes when it comes to how gritty the peanut butter is on the inside.
- Unjunked: 1/5 -The chocolate on the outside was OK, but the powdery peanut butter inside made it practically inedible. Infact, the second cup made it right into the trash can.
- Sunspire: 5/5 – The chocolate and peanut butter were both incredibly smooth which made for an enjoyable taste.
- Reese’s: 3/5 – The immediate smell I encountered when opening the packaging was peanut butter, not similar to a jar of peanut butter, but fake peanut butter.
- Unjunked: 2/5 – The only smell that I found present was that of the peanut butter powder. It reminded me of the smell of a peanut butter chocolate Power Bar. Peanut-y but slightly medicinal.
- Sunspire: 4/5 – I was greeted with the smell of rich chocolate when I took a nice whiff of the packaging of these candies.
- Reese’s: 3/5 – It never fails that I seem to get Reese’s that have some sort of appearance problem. In the case of the one that I had this time, the peanut butter was not covered completely.
- Unjunked: 4/5 – I thought that the Unreal stamp on the peanut butter was pretty cool. Despite so far not enjoying anything from their product line, I really enjoy their packaging.
- Sunspire: 2/5 – Nothing spectacular about these, I wish that it would have had a more polished look by having a smooth top, but thats just me being a snob.
- Reese’s: 4/5 – Normally Reese’s is my go to candy when I am craving chocolate and peanut butter together. If I had to choose one candy to eat for the rest of my life, it would be these.
- Unjunked: 1/5 – Not good. I see what they are trying to do, and its just not working. The omission of certain ingredients with the mission to make it healthier has left it tasting almost inedible in my book.
- Sunspire: 5/5 – Totally out of nowhere with this one. I was expecting them to be OK because they were all natural, but these were EXTREMELY good. I also like the fact that they are reasonably priced (just a dollar at Bel-Air!) for being a healthier alternative. If you are looking for a tasty treat that won’t completely kill your waistline and is not chalked full of preservatives and processed ingredients, pick these up, you won’t be disappointed.
So in closing I would rank these three peanut butter cups in the following order: 1) Sunspire, 2) Reese’s, and 3) Unjunked.
I hope you all have a great 3 day weekend and thank you to all the veterans and active duty personnel (who will one day be veterans) for all they have done to allow me to speak my mind freely.